You can then write to the inland tax authorities to explain why you do not agree with their decision or your review, or complete the Notice of Objection – Child Support form from the Tax Office within the allotted time. OVERVIEWLearn more about the tax-run child support program. The family court may deal with child support if the arrangements need to be challenged or revised, or if a parent lives outside of New Zealand or Australia. Instead of a parent asking the tax office for a child support assessment form, both parents can agree to enter into their own child support agreement – a “voluntary agreement.” The agreement must be made in writing and registered with the tax administration (IRD). IRD will collect and apply the payment. You can find more information about these types of agreements on the IR website (external link) If you need help agreeing on an amount, you can use our child support and liability calculator to find out what you might pay or receive as part of an assessment form. Inland Revenue (IR) administers the Child Support Program under the Child Support Act 1991 (external link). The child allowance is paid by the parents who: If you have agreed on an amount, register the agreement with us. In case of acceptance, we will send both persons a notification with the amount agreed by you. For a child to fall under the scheme (an eligible child), he or she must be a New Zealand citizen or ordinary resident. If you disagree with a child support decision or assessment, you should first try to clarify this with the tax office. Call the tax authorities on 0800 221 221 or visit their website (external link).

The website explains how you can file an objection. The amount must be paid to the tax authorities, which pay the receiving parent any child support in excess of the amount of the benefit. In some cases, you can seek help from family court if you are concerned about child support. There are three ways to make arrangements for child benefits: this usually happens when two parents separate. The money received through child support is used to cover the costs of raising the child or children. P.C. 39010 Wellington Mail Centre Lower Hutt 5045 If your voluntary agreement does not work, you can always switch to a private agreement or request an assessment form. The responsible parent or caregiver who receives may request an evaluation of the formula. The Child Support Act governs support arrangements for families living in New Zealand and families with one parent living in Australia. However, you may be able to receive family allowances under the Family Procedures Act 1980, even if you or the other parent lives outside of New Zealand and Australia. The tax office calculates the amount to be paid on the basis of an assessment formula.

If you need to pay child support, you will be called a responsible parent. The other parent is called the receiving caregiver. The agreement must apply to regular, weekly, bi-weekly or monthly payments. The amount payable under the agreement must be at least $520 for the year ($10 per week). The amount of child benefits payable depends on the amount each parent earns and the time the child spends with each parent. A voluntary agreement you enter into with your ex-partner is a written maintenance contract registered with the tax authorities. You and your ex-partner decide the amount, but inland Revenue takes care of collecting and paying the money, as well as tracking missed payments. If parents or non-parental caregivers can agree on child benefits but want us to manage them for them, they can sign a voluntary agreement with us. We collect and transfer money from the responsible parent to the beneficiary caregiver.

Both the caregiver and the responsible parent must reside or habitually reside in New Zealand to register a voluntary agreement. If, at any time, you need to change a voluntary agreement, do so through the tax authorities. This also includes informing the tax office of the following: If the beneficiary caregiver receives a benefit, the tax office can only accept a voluntary agreement between the parents if the amount to be paid under the agreement is at least as high as in the context of the evaluation of the formula. Subsequently, the responsible parent and the receiving caregiver will receive a notification. The notification will tell you how much you will have to pay or how much you will receive. We will conduct an assessment within 2 weeks of receiving your request. Both parents or caregivers must sign the form. Send it to us at the following address: you can fill it out online before printing it. If the tax office does not allow (reject) your objection, you can contact the family court. If the responsible parent misses a payment, we will follow up. The responsible parent and the beneficiary caregiver must agree on an amount.

The minimum is $10 per week. .